인사이더들과 나누는 글(6)/번역
고 랄프 윈터 박사를 그리며 저스틴 롱이 바친 글입니다.
Dr. Ralph Winter, 1924-2009
By Justin Long ⋅ May 21, 2009 ⋅   Email This Post ⋅ Post a comment

Who in the evangelical missions world hasn’t been touched, in some way, by the life of Ralph Winter? I certainly was. Just as an expression of appreciation, let me take a moment to share some of the ways that Ralph was a blessing to me. (If you like, you can add your own thoughts in the comments below.)

복음주의 선교계에서 크던 작던 랄프 윈터 박사의 삶에 영향을 받지 않은 자가 누가 있겠습니까? 저도 그 중 하나입니다. 고인께 감사를 드리는 마음에서 제겐 축복이었던 고 윈터 박사님과 나눴던 순간들을 여러분과 함께 하고자 합니다.

* Ralph Winter’s efforts at promoting unreached peoples at least in part inspired the Operation Unreached program at AIMS, which is where I got started in missions—reading people group profiles.

윈터 박사님의 미전도종족에게 닿고자하는 노력의 일부가 AIMS의 Operation Unreached 프로그램에 영향을 주었는데 그 곳에서 제가 “종족 그룹 프로파일 읽기”로 제 선교경력을 처음 시작했습니다.

* When I went to work for the World Christian Encyclopedia, and made one of my first diatribes about people who disliked statistics (and more to the point certain statistical researchers), it was Ralph who called to reassure me that no one in the particular group I was writing to felt as badly about the statistics (and the researchers in charge of gathering them) as I thought they did.

제가 월드 크리스찬 백과에서 일을 하면서 통계를 싫어했던 사람들에 대한 내 비난이 쏟아질 무렵, 저를 불러서 내가 조사했던 어떤 특정 그룹도 내가 그럴거라고 생각한 만큼 통계(와 자료수집을 하는 연구자들)을 그렇게 싫어하는 건 아니라고 확인시켜주신 분이 바로 고 윈터박사입니다.

----집계상 필요하니까 이런저런 자료를 주십사 했을테고 이미 일에 치여 있었을 필드 사람들에게 그들이 달갑지만은 않았을거란 그림을 제 멋대로 그려봅니다.

* It was Ralph who responded to an innocent question mine, at an ISFM society meeting, about churches doing missions work on their own (not through an agency): he delivered what I would term an impassioned diatribe on the loss of professionalization in missions. I didn’t feel great about it at the time, sure. But over time I have come to understand his point of view, even agree with it to a certain extent, and to appreciate the passion he felt.

ISFM 모임에서 교회가 기관을 통해서가 아니라 그들 스스로 선교를 하는 것에 대한 내 순진한 질문에 대답해주신 분도 고 윈터박사님이셨습니다. 그 분은 내가 선교에 있어서 전문성의 상실이란 면에서 열정적인 비난을 퍼부은 부분에 대해서 언급하셨거든요. 당시엔 (그 분의 발언이) 대단하단 생각도 없었습니다. 그런데 시간이 가면서 그 분의 관점을 이해하게 되었고 심지어 그 분이 가지셨던 열정에 감화되면서 일정부분 동의하게 까지 되었답니다.

* It was Ralph who persuaded me to start the World Christian Foundations course at the M.A. level, and it was Ralph who coached me through the process of presenting all that I had done to get life experience credit (because I didn’t have the B.A.). It was Ralph who encouraged me to keep going. The WCF program led me in part to the level of discontent with my life which at least partially inspired our first four-year term overseas.

국제 기독교 연합(WCF) 석사과정을 시작하도록 나를 설득하신 분이 고 윈터 박사입니다. 거기에 제가 학사학위도 없어서 실제 활동을 하면서 얻은 것들(선교사로서 필드에 나간 경험을 말하는 거겠죠?)에 대한 학점을 따기 위해 제가 해 온 일들에 관해 제출해야 했을 때, 그 과정 내내 저를 이끌어주신 분도 고 윈터 박사님 이십니다. 제가 계속 공부하도록 격려한 분이시기도 하구요. 국제 기독교 연합(WCF) 프로그램을 통해서 우리(가족)의 첫 4년 해외 선교기간 동안 조금쯤은 고양되었던 내 삶에 좀 더 필요한 것들을 생각하게 되었습니다.

* It was Ralph who wrote emails from time to time – not every day, mind you, and not every week, but often enough. The emails were occasionally critical, but always kind. I always looked forward to them.

때때로 야단치시는 내용도 있었지만 항상 다정한 내용이었던 메일을 늘 보내주신 분이 고 윈터 박사님이십니다. 언제나 그 분의 메일이 오는 것을 기다렸었어요.

* It was Ralph who cc’d me on a number of other conversations he had. I don’t know how many people he cc’d on those conversations. I was always deeply honored to have a little bird’s eye view on some of his thinking.

---cc’d가 cud 아닐까요? 되새기다. 되새김질하다. 전 그렇게 해석합니다.

그 분과 나눈 그 많은 대화를 항상 되새기는 분도 고 윈터박사이셨습니다. 얼마나 많은 이들을 이런 대화 속에 되새기시는 지 모르겠습니다. 저는 항상 그 분의 사상에 대해 조금이라도 통찰력을 가진 것이 영광이었습니다.

* It was Ralph who got me thinking more about spiritual forces and spiritual warfare directly in our life, as a result of his writing about demons and diseases and germs. At first, admittedly I thought he was getting a little crazy—but the more he talked, the more sense he made, and the more I experienced in Asia, the more I became sensible. I don’t know that I agree with everything he wrote on the subject, but I’ll tell you I’m more open minded on that, and realize there’s a lot I don’t know.

그 분의 마귀와 질병과 세균에 관한 저술의 결과로 제가 우리 삶에 직접적으로 영향을 미치는 영적 전쟁과 영적인 힘들에 관해 더 많이 사고하도록 이끄신 분도 고 윈터박사님이십니다. 처음엔 박사님이 좀 제 정신이 아니시구나…하는 생각도 들었지만 그 분이 더 말씀하시면 하실수록, 더 말귀가 맞아들어 갈수록, 제가 아시아에서 더 많이 경험하면 할수록, 저도 점점 더 분별력이 생기게 되었습니다. 제가 이 주제에 관해 박사님이 저술하신 모든 내용에 동의한다고 할 수는 없겠지만, 제가 좀 더 이 주제에 관해서 마음이 열리고 세상엔 정말 내가 모르는 것이 많이 있구나!라고 깨닫게 되었다는 점만은 분명하게 말씀드릴 수 있습니다.

* It was Ralph who contributed to our return to the United States, and who urged me on to my Ph.D. studies. I haven’t even begun that yet—admittedly, being exhausted, I have no desire to do it. But I haven’t forgot what he said, and if (when!) I do Ph.D. studies, it will be in great part because Ralph urged me repeatedly and I can’t forget that.

우리(가족)가 미국에 돌아오도록 돕고 내가 박사학위과정을 시작하도록 몰아세운 분이 고 윈터박사입니다. 정말 지쳐서 아무 것도 할 생각이 없었는데도 내가 그 과정을 마친 것은 그 분의 말씀과 거듭 나를 몰아세우신 덕일겁니다.

Ralph Winter lived a phenomenal, passionate, intelligent life wholly devoted to the spread of the Good News to the ends of the earth. I don’t know of any higher accolade I can give him. I know many of the things he said and did had far greater impact than my little life. But I know that alongside everything else he did, he impacted me.

고 윈터 박사는 땅 끝까지 복음을 전하는데 전적으로 바쳐진 경이적이고 열정에 넘치며 지적인 삶을 살았습니다. 어떤 경의의 말씀을 그 분께 드릴 수 있을까요? 난 그 분이 말씀하신 것들을 많이 알고 있는데 그 말들은 제 삶이 다른 이들이나 상황에 끼치는 것과는 비교도 할 수 없는 큰 영향을 끼쳤습니다. 하지만 나는 그 분이 하신 다른 모든 것들을 다 제쳐 놓고라도 그 분이 제게 어떤 영향을 주신 분인지를 압니다.
He is now in a place where these praises, these accolades, really don’t matter to him. They are perhaps a crown that he will toss at the feet of Jesus. But I would like to point to Ralph as a model of influence and passion. I hope in my own life I am as much an influence for good to others as Ralph was to me.

그 분은 이제 이 찬사와 헌사가 전혀 닿지 않는 곳에 계십니다. 이런 말들은 예수님의 발치에 그 분이 놓으실 영광의 관일지도 모르겠습니다. 하지만 그래도 저는 역시 랄프 윈터 박사가 영향력과 열정의 모델이란 점을 분명히하고 싶습니다. 이제 제가 살아가면서 그 분이 제게 그러하셨듯 제 삶이 다른 이들에게 선한 영향력을 끼치는 삶이길 바랍니다.