랄프 윈터 자서전 일부:

랄프 윈터가 어떤 분인 지 AFMI 내내 궁금햇었는데, 구글에서 그의 자서전의 일부를 찾을 수 있었습니다. 같이 읽어보죠. 해석에 이게 아닌데…싶은 부분은 댓글로 명쾌하게 지적해주시기 바랍니다.

In our society the unbending social concensus, the pervasive conviction, is that, in order to grow up right, during their first 24 years, people need to be incarcerated in little square rooms and battered over the head with books full of facts irrelevant at that age. Now if you subtract those lost years, 24, from my present age, 78 you get 54 years. That is, these last 54 years are the main productive period of my life.

우리 사회에서 변하지 않는 사회적 동의 혹은 알려진 확신은 사람들이 제대로 성장하려면 삶의 첫 24년 동안 조그마한 사각형 방(번역자주: 교실)에 갇혀서 그 나이와는 상관도 없는 사실들로 가득찬 책들로 머리를 두들겨 맞을 필요가 있다는 것이다. 이제 그대가 이 잃어버린 24년을 지금 내 나이 78살에서 뺀다면 54년을 얻는다. 이 최근의 54년이 내 삶에서 주요 생산기이다.

I early caught on to the fact that I could learn more, learn faster and retain longer by directly concerning myself with the concerns of God for His Kingdom and for His righteousness. That is to say, I was an early believer. The will of God in this imperfect world was central early in my thinking. Thus, during those early typically unprofitable years I did think of a maze of things that ought to happen, and I worked in my spare time to make some of them become real.

난 일찍이 내 자신을 하나님의 왕국과 그의 정의로움을 향한 관심과 일치시킨다면 내가 더 많이, 더 빨리 배울 수 있고 더 오래 기억할 수 있을거라는 생각에 사로잡혔다. 이 말은 내가 일찌감치 “믿는 자”가 되었음을 뜻한다. 이 불완전한 세상에서 하나님의 뜻은 내 어린 시절 사고의 중심을 이루었다. 그래서 이 인생 초기의 전형적으로 소득이 없던 시기(학창시절)에 나는 일어나야 할 일들의 미로에 관해 생각했고 시간이 나면 이 일들의 일부라도 실제로 일어나도록 하기 위해 노력했다.

For example, the Navy did me a favor by paying for some of my education, helping me finish Caltech debt free. It then gave me some very practical training in Pre-flight school to become a fighter pilot on an aircraft carrier. However, the war ended just before I finished Pre-flight school and so I never got out of California during those two and a half years in the Navy.

해군에 입대해서 대학학비지원 프로그램으로 캘리포니아 공대를 학비 융자 없이 졸업할 수 있었다. 수송기의 전투비행사가 되기 위해 비행예비 학교에서 상당히 실제적인 훈련을 받았지만 전쟁이 내가 이 예비학교를 졸업하기 직전에 끝나는 바람에 해군에 복무한 2년 반 동안 한 번도 캘리포니아를 벗어난 적이 없다.

An example of something I did out of school hours was when I was 23 and still in school at Princeton Seminary. I initiated a stream of tentmakers going to Afghanistan to teach English. Meanwhile I was using up the last of my wartime GI Bill tuition to acquire a Ph.D. in linguistics in order to go to Afghanistan myself. By this time I was married and we both were eager to do this, even though our finally going did not quite work out. Recently my wife and I attended the annual “Kabul Reunion” at which about 50 veterans of this long-standing effort in Afghanistan gathered to fellowship together.

내가 23살이고 아직 프린스턴 신학교에 다닐 때 나는 영어를 가르치기 위해 아프카니스탄으로 가는 텐트메이커 운동을 시작했다. 그러면서 나도 아프카니스탄에 가기 위해 내가 받은 전시 군인학자금 혜택을 최대한 이용해서 언어학 박사 학위를 따려던 중이었다. 그 때 나는 결혼을 하게 되었고 우리 둘 다 이 일에 열성적이었지만 결국 우리는 아프카니스탄에 가지 못했다. 최근에 내 아내와 나는 이 오랫동안 지속된 운동에 참가했던 50여 명이 매 년 모여서 교제를 나누는 “카불(번역자주: 아프카니스탄 수도) 리유니언”에 참가했다.

I had accepted Christ when a “chalk talk” evangelist somehow got into the Sunday School of a fairly liberal Presbyterian church in Highland Park . As an early teen I confirmed that decision at a huge “Christian Endeavor” conference held in the Long Beach Civic Auditorium. Bob Munger, a young pastor at that time, led the decision service. Later, when I was 15 my parents felt they had t 80 o move from a denomination that had formally given up the highly Evangelical Christian Endeavor movement to a church that embraced that movement. Little did they know that Lake Ave Church would not long after hire a full time youth pastor who had to stand up in front of the group instead of letting young people lead the meeting, and so the incredible, ecumenical Christian Endeavor movement was phased out at the Lake Avenue Church , too. In any case, by this time my whole family was already at Lake Avenue and really liked it. My father soon became a trustee and was one of those opposed going into debt for the removal of the “ Corner Church ” and the building of the present  “Chapel.”

나는 하일랜드 파크에 있는 꽤 자유로운 장로교회 일요학교시간에 있었던 복음주의자의 강연을 통해 하나님을 영접했다. 십 대 초반에 나는 롱 비치 시립회관에서 열린 “Christian Endeavor(기독교인의 노력)”이라는 큰 규모의 컨퍼런스에 참가하면서 믿음의 결심을 굳혔다. 당시 젊은 목사였던 밥 멍거가 이 결심 예배를 이끌었다. 내가 15살 때 우리 부모님은 Evangelical Christian Endeavor(복음주의적 기독교인의 노력)을 포기한 교파에서 그 운동을 지지하는 교파로 옮기기로 결정하셨다. 부모님은 레이크 에이브 교회가 곧 청년들이 모임을 이끄는 것을 허락하는 대신, 그들 앞에 설  전임 사역자를 둘 것과 이 놀랍고 초교파적인 Christian Endeavor운동이 레이크 에이브 교회에서 단계적으로 폐지될 것을 모르셨다. 어쨌든 당시 우리 식구들은 이미 레이크 에이브 교회로 옮긴 상태였고 교회생활을 즐겁게 하고 있었다. 아버지는 곧 교회운영진의 하나가 되셨고 빚을 얻어서 모퉁이 교회 대신 지금의 예배당을 짓는데 반대한 사람들 중 하나셨다.

[He was not against doing it, he was just against going into debt to do it. At that moment in Lake Avenue history the church moved from where 50% of the budget was going to missions down to 33% for missions. When the current sanctuary was built, again with even more massive debt, our mission budget declined to 18%, and now it is even lower.]
A major new element in my life began at Lake Avenue where I first encountered Dawson Trotman and Charles E. Fuller. My life was turned around into an intense commitment, which involved and was then fueled by memorizing 500 verses in the Bible during a period both before and after enlistment in the Navy.

(사실 아버지는 교회당 건립 자체를 반대하신 것은 아니고 빚을 얻는 것을 반대하신 것이다. 당시 레이크 에버뉴 기록에 따르면 우리 교회는 예산의 50%에 달했던 선교 지원을 33%로 낮췄다고 한다. 다시 큰 부채를 지게 된 현 예배당 건립 후 선교자금은 18%로 낮춰졌고 지금은 더 낮은 상태다.)
내가 레이크 에버뉴에서 처음 다우슨 토롯만과 찰스 풀러를 만났을 때 내 삶의 큰 부분이 형성되기 시작됐다. 삶을 전적으로 헌신하기 시작했는데 이에 해군 입대 전후로 성경 구절 500개를 암송했던 일도 포함된다.

Back in those days just after the war Lake Avenue was in a rather hazy relation to any denomination and so after teaching and studying at Westmont (on top of a Caltech degree earned during the war), and studying both at Princeton Seminary and Fuller Seminary, and getting my Ph.D. (at Cornell, combining cultural anthropology, linguistics and mathematical statistics), my wife and I went back to Princeton Seminary to finish up and be ordained as a Presbyterian missionary.

전쟁 직후 레이크 에버뉴는 다른 어떤 교파와도 좀 모호한 관계에 있었고 그런 상태에서 나는 웨스트몬트에서 공부하다가 학생들을 가르쳤고, (전쟁 중 받은 캘리포니아공과대학 학위들 외에) 프린스턴 신학교와 풀러신학교에서 공부했고 코넬에서 문화인류학과 언어학, 그리고 수학적 통계학을 결합한 논문으로 박사학위를 받았다. 이후 아내와 나는 프린스턴 신학교 공부를 마치고 장로교 목사로 서품을 받기 위해 돌아왔다.

Some years before, when I was at Princeton Seminary along with Dan Fuller and Bill Bright, all three of us decided to transfer to the about-to-be-opened Fuller Theological Seminary when that seminary opened in Pasadena , California , the following year. Neither Bill Bright nor I finished at Fuller. We thought we had more pressing things to do. He started Campus Crusade and held to that vision for the next 50 some years. I had felt led to be a full time missionary rather than a tent-maker in Afghanistan . While in transition to that more complex calling I conceived a radically new method for learning a foreign language and earned a Ph.D. in linguistics to forward that idea. I thought this new approach would benefit all missionaries. Incidentally Bill and I formed a friendship which lasted until the day he died. Our project in Pasadena would never have succeeded without his help. He and Vonette invited me and my new wife to lunch at his home in Orlando just a few months before his death.

그 몇 년 전, 내가 프린스턴 신학교에서 댄 풀러와 빌 브라이트와 더불어 공부할 무렵, 우리 셋은 캘리포니아 페사데나에서 다음 해에 개교할 예정이었던 풀러신학교로 옮기기로 결정했다.그런데 빌 브라이트나 나나 풀러에서 졸업을 못했다. 우리 생각엔 좀 더 긴급한 일을 해야한다고 여겼다. 빌 브라이트는 “캠퍼스 크루세이더” 사역을 시작했고 그 비젼을 이 후 50여 년 간 지켜나갔다. 나는 아프카니스탄에 텐트메이커로 가는 것보다 전임사역자로 일하기를 원하신다는 것을 느꼈다. 좀 더 복잡한 부르심을 받던 그 전환기에 난 외국어를 배우는 혁신적인 방법을 고안해내서 언어학 박사학위를 받고 계속 그 아이디어를 확장해나갔다. 난 이 새로운 접근 방식이 선교사들에게 도움이 되리라 믿었다. 빌 브라이트와 나는 그가 소천할 때까지 지속된 우정을 쌓고 있었다. 페사데나에서 우리가 펼친 프로젝트들 은 그의 도움이 없었더라면 어느 것 하나 제대로 되지 못했을 것이다. 빌과 그의 아내 보넷이 그가 소천하기 불과 몇 달 전 나와 내 새 아내를 올랜도에 있는 그의 집으로 초대했던 적이 있다.

Finally, I was finishing up at Princeton planning to be a standard missionary. At that time there were still some conservative-Evangelical Presbyterian mission countries, and Roberta and I and our then two children were recruited for one of the Board's Evangelical fields, Guatemala , to work in the Western highlands with a Mayan Indian tribe called the Mam. Work had been going on there for many years, even Bible translation. This is the precise place, we were told, that Cameron Townsend was persuaded that it was of little use distributing Bible portions in Spanish to people whose mother tongue was radically different. A minority of the missionaries already believed this. It was not Townsend's creative idea. But he was the young man later called affectionately “Uncle Cam,” who actually did something about that idea that became a major contribution, that is, he established today's marvelous Wycliffe Bible Translators.

마침내 일반 목사가 되기 위한 공부를 프린스턴에서 끝냈다. 당시 보수적 복음주의 장로교 선교회가 있는 나라들이 몇 있어서 아내 로버타와 두 아이들을 데리고 위원회의 복음 활동 필드인 과테말라로 가서 “맘”이라 불리는 마야 인디언족을 대상으로 서부 고원에서 사역하도록 뽑혔다. 성서 번역을 포함, 사역은 그 오래전부터 그 곳에서 진행중이었다. 우리가 듣기론 카메론 타운젠트 (번역자주: 20세기 초 전설적인 선교사. 위클리프 성서번역회의 창설자. 1917-1918때 과테말라에서 스페인어 성경을 보급하다가 퀙치쿠엘어라는 문자없는 언어를 사용하는 부족이 성경을 전혀 이해하지 못함을 알고 그들 사이에서 살면서 철자를 도입, 신약을 불과 십 년 만에 번역해냄)가 종족어가 전혀 다른 사람들에게 스페인어 성경을 나눠줘봤자 전혀 소용없다고 설득당한 바로 그 장소라고 했다. 그 곳 선교사들 일부는 이미 그들에게 스페인어성경이 소용없단 사실을 알고 있었으니 타운젠트만의 생각은 아니었던 셈이다. 하지만 타운젠트는 나중에 “쌤아저씨”라고 불리우며 실제로 도움을 되는 길을 찾았던 바로 그 사람이며 나중에 오늘날 “위클리프 성서 번역회”로 알려진 놀라운 단체를 창설하는 중요한 기여를 하게 된다.

During ten years in Guatemala , like Townsend, I became involved in a plan conceived by others. It was the idea of reaching out to assist the real local church leaders (for the first time including Indians). These local church leaders were laymen—most of the 200 churches were run by ordained elders. Those of us involved in this scheme reasoned that these elders could be taught and ordained as full fledged ministers without relocating themselves and their families for years to the capital city to attend “seminary.”

과테말라에 10년 간 있는 동안 타운젠트처럼 나도 다른 이들이 품었던 계획에 동참하게 되었다. 그 계획이란 최초로 부족 인디언을 포함한 지역 교회 지도자들을 돕는 활동이었다. 이 교회지도자들은 평신도여고 200개 교회 중 대부분이 임명된 장로들에 의해 운영되고 있었다. 이 계획에 참가한 우리는 이런 장로들이 수도에 있는 신학교에 가기 위해 자신이나 가족들이 이동하는 일 없이 완전한 사역자로 교육받고 서품 받는 일이 필요하다고 생각했다.

The plan was to work with these existing leaders rather than untried younger students, and for the edu- cational process to fit into their life cycle rather than, as with younger students, extracting them out of soci- ety into the life cycle of a school in a different place and a different culture. This idea caught on with our people and with other missions and in other countries and soon I was invited to be the Executive Director of a Theological Education association that covered the 17 Latin American countries north of the Equator. A year later the one-year-old School of World Mission at Fuller wanted another professor. They were so impressed by this training system that I was invited to join the faculty, the first faculty member added after the founding. I was then deeply involved in the calling of all of the additional professors and deans of the School of World Mission during the next ten years.

이 계획은 경험이 없는 젊은 학생들보다는 기존 교회지도자들을 대상으로 한 것이었고 다른 문화나 지역에 있는 학교생활에 그들을 맞추기 보다는 그들의 생활형태에 맞춘 교육과정이었다. 이 생각에 우리뿐 아니라 다른 나라에 있던 선교단체들이 함께 하게 되어서 나는 곧 적도 위에 위치한 남미 17개 국가를 담당하는 신학교육연합의 대표로 일하게 되었다. 한편 일 년 후 당시 설립 일년이 된 풀러 월드 미션학교는 또 다른 교수가 필요했다. 그들은 내가 활동한 훈련과정에 감동해서 설립 후 가담한 첫 교수진에 합류하기를 권했다. 그 후 10년 간 나는 월드 미션 스쿨의 학장과 다른 교수들의 요청에 깊게 관여하게 되었다.

Not long after joining the faculty at Fuller this new “theological education by extension” idea became a movement. Its growth was due in part to global trips by myself and others promoting the idea which were sponsored by the Evangelical Foreign Missions Association. Soon this idea encompassed 500 mission pro- grams around the world and enlisted 100,000 local leaders training for ordination. Some have cast me as the creator of this movement. I simply got the idea from a missionary (James Emery) who had been in Guatemala longer than I. Like Townsend I helped to implement an idea I did not conceive.

내가 풀러에 합류한 후 얼마 지나지 않아서 이 새로운 “확장 신학교육”이 하나의 운동이 되었다. 이 운동의 성장은 부분적으로는 복음주의 선교연합의 지원에 힘입어서 나와 다른 이들이 전세계로 선전하면서 다닌 덕도 크다. 곧 이 프로그램은 전세계적으로 500개의 미션프로그램을 수행하고 서품 받을 십 만 명의 지역지도자들을 명단에 올리게 되었다. 어떤 이들은 나를 이 운동의 창시자로 본다. 하지만 나는 과테말라에 나보다 더 오래 있었던 선교사 제임스 에머리로부터 아이디어를 얻었을 뿐이다. 타우젠트처럼 나도 내가 품지 않았던 생각을 실행하는데 도움을 주었을 뿐이다.

In any case, the movement was running by itself, and although I was called to Fuller to promote this new idea, I only continued to teach one course in that area and soon transitioned into a first love, with a teaching focus on the historical growth factors of the Christian movement in the last 2,000 years as my main teaching duty. This involvement was immeasurably enlightening. I discovered that a great deal that I had been taught at seminary about theological developments in Christian history, both at Fuller and at Princeton, were not quite the whole story or perhaps dead wrong. But that is another story.

어쨌든 이 운동은 자체적으로 진행되었고 비록 내가 이 새로운 개념을 알리도록 풀러에 부름을 받았지만 나는 그 과정에서 한 코스를 계속 가르친 것 외에 다른 것은 없다. 이후 나는 내 첫사랑인 지난 이 천 년간 기독교 운동의 역사적 성장요인에 촛점을 맞추는 강의로 돌아섰고 이를 내 주요 강의로 삼았다. 이 참여는 상당히 계몽적인 것이었다. 나는 내가 풀러와 프린스턴 신학교에서 기독교역사에서 나타나는 신학적 발달과정에 관해 배워 온 내용의 상당부분이 전체적으로 완결된 이야기가 아니거나 혹은 전혀 틀린 내용일 수도 있다는 것을 알아냈다. 이 문제는 지금 이 글과는 상관이 없는 내용이라고 본다.

[A recent book entitled For the Glory of God, published by Princeton University Press, written by a sociologist, Rodney Stark, does the same thing. It is a devastating critique of historians and sociologists in general and Christian historians and theologians in particular. A fabulous 80 pages are devoted to the rise of science under Christian influence. I have written for permission to print that chapter as a separate book with our publishing imprint (the William Carey International University Press). Christian students and non-Christian students at Caltech will be flabbergasted.]

(프린스턴 대학 출판부에서 나온 “하나님의 영광을 위하여”(저자: 로드니 스탈크)란 최근의 책도 같은 내용을 다루고 있다. 이 책은 역사가들과 사회학자들 전반과 특히 기독교 역사학자들과 신학자들에 대한 통렬한 비판서이다. 경이로운 80페이지가 기독교 영향하에서 일어난 과학의 등장을 다루고 있다. 나는 윌리엄 캐리 국제 대학 출판부에서 이 책의 그 80페이지만 독립적으로 출판할 수 있도록 허가를 청했다. 캘리포니아 공대의 기독교인 학생이나 비기독교학생이나 다 깜짝 놀랄만하다.)

Even more important, at Fuller those ten years I had a thousand missionaries go through my classes and write masters or doctoral theses about their field work and experience. For me this was a glorious intro- duction into the global phenomenon of Christianity and it led to some disturbing conclusions. I began to write and promote insight into the idea that thousands of minority groups were still walled off from missions by the tendency of many missions to assume that the churches they established could easily bridge the many ethnic differences which make most countries into a linguistic mosaic. Realizing that this perspective was an overlooked dimension that affected the strategies in virtually all fields, it became serious enough so that, it seemed to me, something, someone would have to stop teaching and begin actively promoting outreach to these additional totally pioneer fields that were invisible to anyone with American melting pot assumptions.

더 중요한 점은 풀러에 재직한 그 십 년 간 현장 성과나 경험에 관해 석/박사 논문을 쓴 수 천명의 선교사들을 거쳤다는 것이다. 나로선 기독교의 전지구적 현상을 보는 서두였고 또한 몇몇 마음에 걸리는 결론에 이르게 하는 상황이기도 했다. 나는 수 천의 소수민족들에게 아직도 선교사가 이르지 못하고 있고 그 이유가 대부분의 나라들을 언어적 조각으로 나누는 민족적 차이들을 묶는데 자신들이 세운 교회가 쉽게 가교가 될 것이라고 믿는 선교단체들에 있다는 사실에 관해 글을 쓰기 시작했고 이 문제가 어떤 의미를 갖는 지 알리는데 힘썼다. 이런 관점은 실제 어느 필드에나 영향을 미치는 전략을 구상하는데 있어 고려할 부분들을 간과하게 되며 이제 더 이상 미국식의 잡탕찌게가설 (다양한 문화가 융해되어 미국문화를 이룬다는)을 들고 다니는 자에겐 보일 리 없는 이 개척지에 누군가가 가르치는 것 대신, 가서 적극적으로 상황을 이끌어야 한다고 확신했을 만큼 내겐 심각한 문제였다.

The entire mission faculty at Fuller was involved in a discussion over a period of two years concerning the need for a vast “implementation annex” to the Fuller School of World Mission. Ed Dayton from World Vision was involved. The Fuller provost, Glenn Barker was involved in these discussions. I still have a little diary where I recorded who came to the meetings (which I convened) and what we discussed. Gradually a major new enterprise, intended to be a harmonious and supportive extension of Fuller, was brought into focus. Fuller's president, David Hubbard, tried hard to think how all this could be an elaboration of the existing School of World Mission (which, incidentally, would not have been ideal since many missions already refused to send any of their missionaries to Fuller due to ambiguities over in the Fuller theology faculty about statements of Biblical inspiration). We knew that for theologically political reasons it had to be a project that was legally separate from Fuller.

풀러의 미션 담당 교수진 전체는 2년 넘게 풀러 스쿨 오브 미션 월드에 광범위한 “실행부서”를 둘 필요성에 관한 토론에 개입되어 있었다. 월드 미션 쪽의 이드 에이튼도 예외가 아니었다. 풀러 학장인 글렌 바커도 마찬가지인 상황이었다. 내가 모임(내가 소집한)에 갈 때 마다 기록을 했던 노트를 아직도 가지고 있다. 점진적으로 풀러에서 나온 우호적이고 협조적인 확장기구로서 새로운 거대한 단체가 그려지기 시작했다. 현존하는 스쿨 오브 월드 미션의 공들인 완성품으로서 이 단체가 어떻게 존재해야 할 지를 고민했던 풀러 총장 데이빗 휴버드는 많은 선교단체들이 성경적 감화에 관한 풀러신학교 교수의 발언의 모호함을 문제 삼아서 더 이상 선교사들을 풀러에 보내지 않기로 결정함에 따라서 단체 생성을 둘러싼 상황에 대해 낙관적일 수 없는 처지였다. 우리는 이런 신학적으로 꼬인 정치적 문제들 때문에 이 프로젝트는 법적으로 풀러와 별개로 추진되어야한다고 생각했다.

Meanwhile I continued to explore the possibilities
of some current mission leader being recruitable to set up this kind of large informal annex. I tried in vain to persuade a number of leaders. It finally became clear that I was the only one who was willing and able to walk out of their present job and attempt a project as huge and risky as this was. Later I realized that since we obviously began with a huge fund-raising need, many more were deterred by that grim reality alone.
(In fact, once the property was paid off, we had many takers.)

그 동안 나는 이 거대한 정보적 연결망을 설립하는데 함께 일할 만한 현직 선교단체 리더들을 물색하고 다녔다. 상당수의 리더들을 설득하는데 실패하기도 했지만 분명한 것은 나만이 선교리더들이 당장 하는 일에서 벗어나서 이 거대하고 도박에 가까운 프로젝트를 시도할 수 있고 또 하고자 하는 사람이란 것이었다. 이 프로젝트에 엄청난 자금이 필요한 게 뻔했기 때문에 더 많은 이들이 그 음울한 사실만으로도 겁을 먹고 물러섰다는 것을 나중에 알았다. (사실, 일단 땅값을 치루고 나자 좀 더 많은 동역자를 구할 수 있었다.)

So, in the fall of 1976, I took a two-year leave of absence from Fuller. I continued to teach some, but my main task was to establish this new center. I was 51 at that time. I had engineering training, a Ph.D. an M.Div. plus mission field experience and teaching at Fuller behind me. I could always go back to Fuller, where I am to this day still listed as a faculty member (a “Distinguished Missiologist in Residence”). What did I have to lose? My wife and my whole family of four unmarried daughters were completely unanimous that this was what God wanted us to do.

1976년 가을에 2년간 풀러 교수직을 쉬기로 했다. 조금씩 가르치긴 했지만 내 주요 임무는 이 새로운 센터를 건립하는 것이었다. 당시 내 나이가 51살이었다. 난 공학학위에다 박사학위, 그리고 신학석사에 더불어 선교사경험과 풀러 강의경험까지 있었다. 난 언제나 풀러에 복귀할 수 있었고 난 지금도 “체재중인 탁월한 선교학자”란 직함으로 교수진에 등록되어 있다. 내가 잃을 게 무엇이었겠는가? 내 아내와 4명의 딸들로 이루어진 내 가족은 하나님이 우리 가족이 하기를 원하시는 일에 만장일치로 찬성했던 상황이었다.

I did not push into this very eagerly. At no time in my life before or after have I to the extent I did then, sense that God was forcing me to choose a much harder row to hoe. And on the other hand, after we made the decision to leave Fuller we did not at any point in the next thirteen years, during which we paid off the campus, feel that God had promised us success. We only felt that the value of the goal was sufficient justification to go all out, sink or swim. I coined the phrase, “You do not evaluate a risk by the probability of success but by the worthiness of the goal.” We were willing to fail because the goal we sensed was so urgent and strategic.

처음부터 밀어부치진 않았다. 아무리 생각해봐도 살면서 지금까지 하나님이 괭이질하기에 더 힘든 고랑을 고르라고 내게 강요하신 적이 없었다. 하지만 우리 가족이 풀러를 떠나기로 결정한 후, 캠퍼스 값을 지불하고 또 그렇게 보낸 그 13년 간 하나님이 우리에게 성공을 약속하셨다고 느낀 적도 없다. 우리가 느꼈던 것은 단지 이 프로젝트가 갖고 있는 목적의 가치가 모든 것을 걸기에 충분하다는 것 뿐 이었다. “당신은 위험을 성공도에 따라서가 아니라 목적의 가치에 따라서 평가해야 한다” 가 내가 만든 말이다. 그 프로젝트의 목적이 시급하고 전술적으로 유익하다고 느꼈기에 기꺼이 실패를 감수할 수 있었다.

I said I was 51 at that time. That is exactly the half way point between the age of 24 and my present 78 years. The second half of my productive life has been even more exciting than the first half. Suffice it to say we started without backers, no denomination, not even a single congregation, no mailing list, and only about $100 in cash. It would seem that if we went from that to a $40 million dollar set of properties that are free and clear this would be a fascinating, almost unbelievable story.

당시 내가 51살이었단 말은 이미 했다. 그 말은 내 지금 나이 78살에서 학교에서 허비한 24살 사이에 딱 중간에 있는 나이란 뜻이다. 내 생산적인 삶의 후반부는 전반부보다 더 굉장했다. 아무 원조도 없이 시작했다는 말이 맞을까…어떤 교단이나 심지어 회중모임, 주소록조차 없이 현금 100달러가 가진 것의 전부였다. 만약 우리가 그 백 달러에서 담보 없이 깨끗한 사 천 만 달러 짜리 부동산이 되었다는 게 거의 믿을 수도 없는 이야기처럼 보인다.

My first wife's book in its latest revision is called I Will Do a New Thing, tells that story in detail. We became self-sufficient not needing or wanting to go out for funds in the name of our institution. We now in our university enroll in various programs over 6,000 new students a year, drawing upon over 900 teachers/professors all over the country, teaching in over 130 places in the U.S. alone, are active in many languages with half of our staff either at regional centers in the USA or in similar activities around the world. Our basic institution is a community of missionaries whose support comes in directly as is the case with most missionaries.

내 첫 아내의 책 “새로운 일을 하겠다.”를 보면 당시 이야기가 자세하게 나와있다. 이제 우리가 기금을 얻으러 나갈 필요도 없이 자족적인 단체가 되었다. 현재 우리 학교에는 매 년  다양한 프로그램에 등록하는 육 천 명이 넘는 신입생들이 있으며 미국 전역에서 구 백 명이 넘는 교수진을 모으고 있고 미국에서만 백 삼 십 개가 넘는 곳에서 가르치고 있는데 스탭의 절반 가량이 미국내 지역 센터나 전세계에서 다양한 언어로 활동을 펼치고 있다. 우리의 기본 단체는 선교사들의 모임인데 대부분의 선교사들의 경우와 마찬가지로 그들의 후원은 직접적으로 얻는다.

The basic corporation's legal name is the Frontier Mission Fellowship. Its two main closely cooperating projects are the U.S. Center for World Mission, which is on the north side of Elizabeth and the university which is on the south side. The Frontier Mission Fellowship, of which I am still the active General Director was incorporated late in 1976. Paul Cedar spoke at our 25th anniversary cele- bration in 2002. Some years ago he withdrew from all boards except ours.

이 기본 단체의 정식 명칭은 프론티어 미션 펠로우쉽이다. 이 단체의 두 주요한 프로젝트는 서로 긴밀하게 연결되어 있는데 첫 번 째가 유에스 센터 포 월드 미션이고 이 곳은 엘리자베스 북쪽과 나쪽에 위치한 대학 사이에 있다. 내가 지금도 상근 총 책임자로 일하고 있는 프론티어 미션  펠로우쉽은 1976년 말에 조직되었다. 폴 세더가 2002년에 있었던 이 단체의 25주년 기념식에서 연설을 했다. 그 몇 년 전 그는 우리 단체를 제외한 모든 위원회에서 사퇴한 상태였다.

We have greatly appreciated Lake Avenue Church . All four of my daughters are full-time missionaries and both they and their 14 children and my own support comes in part from Lake Avenue . Bill Bright was another major supporter from the very first days all through our 27 years of involvement following the Fuller teaching period. But, as I say, the second half of my “productive” 54 years will need to be pursued another time.

레이크 에버뉴 교회에 신세진 게 참 많다. 우리 딸들 네 명이 다 전임 선교사들인데 그 애들과 그 아이들의 14명의 아이들과 내가 받은 후원의 일부도 이 교회에서 나왔다. 빌 브라이트는 초창기부터 풀러 강의시기로 이어지는 27년 내내 우리의 주요한 후원자들 중 한 분이었다. 내가 말했듯이 이제 내 생산적인 54년 의 인생 중 그 후반부를 살아야 할 때다.

PART II
I will now head into the period of my life during which I served in the development of the college campus in Northeast Pasadena . Our 25th Anniversary booklet tells a good deal of that story. My first wife's book, I Will Do a New Thing tells even more. But I have decided that I cannot push on into that radical, tumultuous period from 1976 until the present (that is, from the my age of 51 to my age of 79), without describing a bit more of what led up to so radical a break with a much safer past.
Why did I not continue to teach at Fuller, in the world's largest school of missions? Long before I even went to Fuller I had been almost continually caught up in things which you cannot do in the classroom. I will mention eight.

나는 이제 파사데나 북동쪽에 있는 우리 학교 캠퍼스의 발전을 위해 내가 섬겼던 시기로 가고자 한다. 우리 학교 25주년 기념 소책자에 그 당시 얘기들이 많이 나와있다. 내 첫 아내의 책 “나는 새로운 일을 할거야.”에 더 많은 얘기들이 소개되어 있음은 물론이다. 1976년부터 현재에 이르는 (내 나이 51살 때부터 현재 79살까지) 그 급진적이고 폭풍같았던 시기를 설명하려면 먼저 나를 훨씬 편안했을 과거로부터 단절시킨 그 힘은 무엇인 지 얘기를 해야겠다. 세계에서 가장 큰 선교학교인 풀러에서 계속 가르치지 않은 이유는 무엇인가? 나는 풀러에 가기 훨씬 전부터 우리가 수업에선 다룰 수 없는 것들에 대해 계속 생각해왔다. 다음의 8가지를 말할 수 있다.(이건 다음 부분을 읽어봐야 분명할 듯!)

I first caught McGavran's attention because of a brief article I had written entitled, “Gimickitis” which portrayed local accountable fellowships on the mission field to be the most central goal. Later, his invitation to join him at Fuller also built on his interest in the fact that I had been involved in a radically new approach to the development of pastor leadership. These were the main reasons I was invited to teach at Fuller. But let me go back even further.
먼저 나는 해당 지역에서 믿을 수 있는 목회자간 선교현장 협력이 가장 중심적 목적이 될 수 있음을 그려낸 맥가브란의 “지믹키티스”라는 짧은 논문을 읽고 나서 그의 논점을 잡아냈다. 그 후 맥가브란이 풀러로 나를 초대했을 때 목회자 리더쉽의 발전에 있어서 급진적인 새로운 접근법에 몰두해있었던 내게 그가 관심을 보였다. 이런 것들이 내가 풀러 교수직에 초대된 주된 이유이다. 좀 더 과거로 돌아가보자.

I finished my Caltech studies during the 2nd World War while still 19. A year later when I was still 20 the war abruptly ended my pilot training and took me to Westmont . Dr. Hutchins, pastor of Lake Ave Church actually drove me up to Westmont in the fall of 1945 and made sure I got a job teaching that would exactly pay for my studies in the Bible, church history and Greek. A series of “antecedents” that help explain that significant departure from teaching at Fuller are mentioned in the next chapter.

내가 19살 때, 2차 대전 중 캘리포니아 공대에서 학위를 마쳤고 1년 후 갑자기 전쟁이 종료되어 나의 비행훈련프로그램도 중지되었고 그 때문에 웨스트몬트로 가게 되었다. 당시 레이크 에버뉴 교회를 섬기시던 허친스박사가 1945년 가을에 나를 웨스트몬트까지 차로 데려다주시고 내가 성경, 교회사, 그리스어 공부를 위한 수업료를 낼 수 있는 교직을 구했는 지 확인한 분이시다. 이러한 일련의 “전례”들이 다음 장에 언급될 내가 풀러에서 교직을 물러나서 중대한 새출발을 하게 된 경위를 이해하는 데 도움이 될 것이다.

Copyright © 2005 Ralphwinter.org  |  Development by