Interview of the author of Peacemaking: Resolving Conflict,
Restoring and Building Harmony in Relationships

“평화이룸: 갈등을 해결, 관계의 조화를 회복하고 세우는 일”의 저자 릭 러브와 인터뷰글입니다. 릭 러브는 IJFM에 자주 등장하는 저자여서 찾아봤습니다.

Love’s detailed Scriptural study of peacemaking describes Jesus’ keys to conflict resolution and harmonious relationships.  It equips church planters and church leaders to understand and embrace Jesus’ way of developing God-honoring, satisfying relationships.  Here is a powerful resource for anyone who wants to make a difference in a world of conflict, broken relationships, and pain.

러브의 상세한 평화이룸에 관한 성경 연구는 해답과 조화로운 관계를 위해 분투한 예수의 핵심이 묘사되어 있다. 이 책은 하나님을 경외하고 충만한 관계를 이끌어낼 수 있는 예수님의 방식을 이해하고 품는 교회 개척자들과 지도자들에게 적합하다. 이 책에는 갈등의 세상, 무너진 관계, 고통을 변화시키고자하는 이들에게 굉장한 원천이 될 것이다.

Q: Why did you write Peacemaking? “평화이룸”을 쓰신 이유는?

A: This book grew out of my personal and painful pilgrimage as a peacemaker during the past 30 years. I have had the privilege of studying under some of the best theologians and missiologists in America. Yet no one prepared me for peacemaking. This was something I had to learn the hard way—on the job. It has been one of the most difficult lessons I have learned in my roles as family man, pastor, team leader, church planter and CEO.

이 책은 지난 30년 간 평화이룸이로서 제가 겪은 개인적이고 고통스러웠던 여정에서 나온 것입니다. 저는 미국 내 최고의 신학자들과 선교사들 밑에서 공부하는 행운을 누린 사람입니다. 그럼에도 스승들 중  누구도 제게 평화이룸에 관해 준비케 한 분이 없었어요. 현장에서 정말 힘들게 배워야 했죠. 제가 가장으로, 목회자로, 팀 리더로, 교회 개척자로, 그리고 경영자로서 배운 제 역할들 중에 가장 어려운 일들 중 하나였습니다.

Q: What is unique about your book on peacemaking? “평화이룸”에 관해서 선생님 책만의 특성은 무엇인 지?

A: I have written this book as an inductive Bible study guide for use by individuals or small groups. I realize that this is not a popular format, but I believe it is the best format to equip peacemakers. Peacemaking demands biblical convictions about Jesus’ way of making peace. And Jesus’ way of making peace often goes against the grain of our relational patterns. My experience has been that inductive Bible study is one of the best ways of developing biblical convictions and learning new relational habits.

이 책은 개인이나 소집단의 귀납적 성경 연구 가이드로서 씌여진 겁니다. 널리 쓰이는 방식은 아니지만 평화이룸이들의 훈련에는 최고라고 봅니다. 평화이룸은 평화를 이루는 예수의 방법에 관한 성경적 확신이 꼭 필요한 일입니다. 예수의 평화이룸 방식은 종종 우리가 맺는 관계 패턴의 특성과 어긋나기도 합니다. 제 경험으론 귀납적 성경 연구가 성경적 확신을 키우고 새로운 관계의 습관들을 배우는데 최선이라고 봅니다.

Q: Why is peacemaking important for cross-cultural workers? 다른 문화와 접하며 일하는 일꾼들에게 평화이룸이 중요한 이유는 무엇인 지?

A: Fulfilling the great commission is a relational task – demanding skilled peacemakers. I like to summarize it like this: The family is a community. The church is a community. There is no community without peacemaking.
Therefore, peacemaking is central to family, church planting and church life.

대위임령을 완수한다는 것은 관계적 임무입니다. 숙련된 평화이룸이들이 필요한 일이죠. 이렇게 요약해보면 어떨까요 – 가족은 커뮤니티다. 교회도 커뮤니티다. 평화이룸이 없이는 어떤 커뮤니티도 존재할 수 없다. 그러므로 평화이룸은 가정, 교회 개척, 교회 생활에서 중심이 되는 것이다.

Q: Any other reflections about peacemaking? 평화이룸에 관해 더 말씀해 주실 것은?

A: We live in an age when many assume the world is locked into inevitable clashes of civilizations, such as between the West and the Muslim world. Destructive racial divides remain unabated. I believe that Jesus founded a peace movement and that the church is called to be a peace institute. When we make peace we walk in his blessing. Peacemaking is possible! I hope to write another book about peacemaking in the near future, especially as it relates to Muslim-Christian relationships. Stay tuned!

우리는 많은 이들이 세계가 문명간 불가피한 충돌가운데 갇혀있다고 믿는 그런 시대를 살고 있습니다.  서구 대 무슬림 세계 사이의 갈등 뭐 그런 거 말입니다. 치명적인 인종적 분열이 전혀 나아지지 않은 채 방치된 상황입니다. 저는 예수가 평화 운동을 세우셨고 교회는 이 일을 위한 평화학교로 기능하도록 부름받았다고 생각합니다. 우리가 평화를 이루고자 할 때 우리는 그 분의 축복 속에 걷게 됩니다. 평화이룸은 가능한 일입니다. 저는 가까운 장래에 평화이룸에 관한, 특히 무슬림-기독교 관계에 연관된 책을 쓰고자 합니다. 지켜봐 주세요.