IJFM에 나온 pdf을 긁어서 옮기느라 글의 일부를 자르고 소제목을 수정했습니다. 전체 이해에 불편이 없으시기 바랍니다. 이게 아니다 싶은 번역부분은 댓글에서 지적해 주세요.

25:3 Fall 2008•187
190 Muslims, Christians, and Jesus: Stories of Faith

일화 하나: 이라크에 있는 호텔 로비에서
I was sitting in a hotel lobby in a small southern Iraqi town, rubbing my
eyes after a short nap, when three young staff members walked over from
the front desk and sat down. They were curious about me and my friends, who had left me to rest. “What are you doing in Iraq?” asked one of the guys.
“Aren’t you Americans? My friend says you are Christians.”
“Yes, most of us are Americans,” I answered, “but we live here in the Middle
East. What do you mean when you think we might be Christian?”
“You know,” he said, “Christians! People who believe in Israel and the Trinity, and don’t like us.” He said this without a hesitation, and unfortunately, it is a common opinion.

남부 이라크 작은 마을에 있는 호텔의 젊은 직원들 3명이 내게로 다가와 주변에 앉았을 때, 난 잠깐 낮잠을 자고 일어나서 눈을 비벼대고 있었다. 그들은 나와 쉴려고 자리를 떠난 내 친구들에 대해 궁금해했다. 그들 중 하나가 “이라크에서 뭘 하고 있죠?, 당신들 미국인들아녜요? 내 친구가 그러는데 당신들은 크리스찬이라던데요.” 내가 “맞아요, 우리 대부분이 미국사람이예요. 지금은 중동에 살고 있구요. 우리가 크리스찬일거란 건 무슨 얘기예요?”라고 말하자 그는 “왜 있잖아요, 크리스찬! 이스라엘과 삼위일체를 믿는 자들요, 그 사람들은 우리를 싫어하죠”라고 전혀 망설임없이 말했고 슬프지만, 이것은 이 곳에선 일종의 공통된 의견이다.

I had already learned not to defend all of Christendom—the good or the
bad—so I said, “Well I can’t speak for others, but I’d love to tell you who we
really are.” They were hooked (and obviously bored in their jobs) and pulled an overstuffed sofa closer to hear my story.
“We are people of faith. Like you. People who believe in the one true God.
Like you. People who want to love their wives and children and do good. Like
you. We take prayer seriously. We want to be godly and act justly. Like you.”

난 이미 좋건 나쁘건간에 상관없이 기독교 전체를(크리스찬돔을 뭐라고 해석하면 좋을까요? 선생님이 단어 바꿔주세요) 변호하는 건 그만두자고 작정하던 터여서 “다른 사람들에 대해선 모르겠네요. 하지만 우리가 진실로 누구인지는 말해주고 싶어요.”라고 말했더니 이미 자신들이 하는 일에 따분하던 그 젊은이들은 이내 동의하곤 내 얘기를 듣기 위해 속을 팽팽하게 채운 소파를 끌어다 앉았다.

(A quick note: A great way to treat people in general is to assume that it’s
you who will learn from them. Say things that call them to a higher place.
Don’t belittle. Don’t put yourself ahead of them. Don’t be condescending. Treat them as you’d like to be treated.)

(알아두기: 일반적으로 사람을 대하는 좋은 방법은 당신들이 배우겠다는 자세를 보여주는 것이다. 그들이 윗사람인 것처럼 얘기해라. 위축되지 마라. 나서지도 말되 비굴하지도 말아라. 당신이 대접받고 싶은 대로 그들을 대하라.)

I continued: “We also try to follow the ways, teachings, and life of Jesus
the Messiah. He’s our model for all we do and think and say. We’re not
very good at it, but this is our goal. So we’ve come here looking to find out
if Jesus is here already and what he might want us to do here.”

계속해서 나는 “우리는 구원자 예수의 삶의 방식과 가르침을 따르죠. 그는 우리가 행동하고 생각하고 말하는 데 있어서 예가 되요. 잘 따르지는 못하지만 제대로 따라서 사는 것이 우리의 목적이죠. 우리가 여기 온 이유는 예수가 이미 이 곳에 계시다면 그 분은 우리가 뭘 하기를 원하실까를 알아보기 위해서죠.”라고 말했다.

They clearly loved what I was saying and asked for a story about Jesus. My
Arabic is not very good, but I began to share the story Jesus told about the
prodigal son. Everything was going great until I got to the part where the
son returns home. In the Lebanese dialect I learned, the words for village
and snake are very similar (at least to my foreign ears). So what they heard
me say was, “As the boy approached his snake . . . ” They gasped and, with
worried looks, interrupted me to ask if he got bit.

젊은이들은 내 얘기를 좋아했고 예수에 관한 이야기를 듣고 싶어했다. 내 아랍어는 신통치 않았지만 탕자 아들에 관한 얘기를 나누기 시작했다. 내가 탕자가 집에 돌아오는 대목을 얘기할 때만 해도 분위기가 좋았다. 내가 배운 레바논아랍방언으로는 “마을”과 “뱀”의 발음이 그다지 다르지 않았다. 최소한 외국인인 내가 듣기에는… 그러다보니 그 젊은이들이 들은 내용은 “그 소년이 그의 뱀에게 다가갔을 때…” 젊은이들이 숨을 멈추며 걱정스런 눈빛으로 소년이 뱀에게 물렸는 지 물었다.

It took me a moment to realize my mistake, but I corrected myself and tried to continue. Still, they wanted to know about the snake. “There’s never been a snake in this story. It’s a village,” I responded, depleted of my original brilliant storytelling capacity.
“No snake.” They were confused but allowed me to finish what I consider
one of Jesus’ best stories. It says so much: the hurt, offended father waiting for his son; the father throwing a party and seemingly forgetting the offense; the boy repenting and coming to his senses; the juxtaposition between son and slave; the older son pouting. It’s all there. Amazing drama side-by-side with deep theological teaching.

그 때서야 난 내 실수를 알아차렸고 실수를 수정하고 계속 얘기를 하려고 했는데 이 젊은이들은 계속 뱀에 대해서 알고 싶어했다. “이 얘기엔 뱀이 안 나와요. 마을이라니까.” 이야기 들려주기 달인인 내 체면이 완전히 구겨진 채 사정을 설명했다. “뱀이 안 나와요?” 혼란스러워 했지만 내가 예수의 이야기 중 최고라고 생각하는 이 이야기를 끝까지 들어주었다. 탕자의 얘기는 상처와 상처받은 아버지가 아들을 기다리는 것, 아버지가 잔치를 베풀고 마치 상처에 대해 잊은 듯 행동하는 것, 탕자의 회개와 반성, 아들과 노비의 병치, 심술부리는 큰 아들 등 모든 것이 다 있다. 그 심오한 신학적 가르침 만큼이나 얼마나 굉장한 드라마인가!

The points of the story hit home. I could sense the presence of the Holy
Spirit. God was in that lobby. Just then, one of the young guys spoke up. “When I was ten, a German man gave my daddy a cassette of stories of
Jesus. We gathered at our table and listened to that cassette every night
for almost a year. Then it broke. The German man had told my father that
Jesus had a book out, but he didn’t have one to give us. He told us to look
for it and someday we’d get one. Do you know about the book Jesus has?”
I could barely respond at first, but managed to say, “Yes, Jesus does have
a book.”

이 이야기의 핵심이 제대로 전해졌다. 성령의 임재를 느낄 정도 였으니까.  하나님이 그 로비에 머무셨던 것이다. 바로 그 때, 그 젊은이들 중 하나가 입을 열었다. “내가 열 살 때, 한 독일 남자가 우리 아버지께 예수 이야기가 담긴 카세트를 줬는데 우린 근 일년 가까이 매일 밤 그 이야기를 들었었죠. 그러다가 카세트가 망가져서… 그 독일남자 말로는 예수가 책에 대해 얘기했다던데 당시에 그는 우리에게 줄 책이 없었어요. 우리에게 그 책을 찾아보라고 했는데… 예수가 논했다는 그 책에 대해서 아나요?” 난 처음엔 벅차서 거의 대답조차 할 수 없었지만 가까스로 대꾸했다. “그래요, 예수에겐 책이 있었죠.”

But do you have one?” the young man said with desperation.
“Actually, I have one in my room. Can I get it for you?”
I nearly tripped on the way since I couldn’t see through my tears.
Thankfully, I had one gospel of Luke left. I brought it out and handed it to him. His eyes widened as he clutched the copy and read the title.
“Is this the real gospel of Jesus Christ?”
“Yes, it’s the real one, written by one of his early followers, Luke. You’ll love it.”

그러자 젊은이가 조급하게 말했다. “당신에게 그 책이 있나요?”
“사실 내 방에 있는데, 가져다 줄까요?” 내 방으로 가다가 눈물이 앞을 가려서 하마터면 넘어질 뻔 했다. 감사하게도, 누가복음이 있어서 그걸 그에게 주었다. 그 젊은이는 책을 보자 눈이 커지더니 제목을 읽어내려갔다.
“이게 그리스도 예수이 진짜 복음인가요?”
“네, 진짜예요. 그의 초기 제자인 누가가 쓴거죠. 재미있을거예요.”

He burst into tears, put it to his forehead, and then kissed it. Next, he surprised us all by running toward the front door. He yelled back, “I have to go show my father. He’ll be so excited!”
Wow! The other guys turned to me and almost fell over themselves asking
if I had more books. It was my last copy, I said, but I promised them books too.

그가 눈물을 흘리며 복음서를 이마에 갖다 대더니 (번역자 주: 성결한 것을 대할 때 행동. 꾸란도 읽기 전후에 이마에 대고 키스하곤 한다) 입을 맞췄다. 그러더니 현관쪽으로 달려나가며 “아버지께 보여드려야해요. 정말 좋아하실거예요.”라고 소리를 질러 우리 모두를 놀라게 했다.
할렐루야! 다른 젊은이들도 몸을 내게로 돌려서 책이 또 있느냐고 물었다. 그 책이 내게 마지막 남은 책이어서, 책을 나중에 주겠다고 약속했다.

We were still talking when the young man returned, out of breath. “I showed it to my father and uncles and they all agreed it is the true book of
Jesus. But they said I had to get more for other family members and friends.
Please, do you have more?”
This is a common response to the Bible in the Muslim world. It contains the very words of God, and when we treat them as such, people will be hungry for them. Who wouldn’t want to read what God has written to us?

그 젊은이가 숨이 턱에 차서 “아버지랑 삼촌들께 보여드렸는데 다들 이 책이 예수의 진짜 책이라고 했어요. 다른 식구들이랑 친구들에게도 책을 줘야한다고 하는데, 책이 좀 더 있나요?”라고 외치며 돌아왔을 때, 우리는 아직 얘기 중이었다. 이 일은 무슬림세상이 성경에 대해 일반적으로 보여주는 반응이다. 성경은 하나님의 바로 그 말씀들을 담고 있고 그러므로우리가 무슬림들과 이런 식으로 접근하면 그들은 성경에 대해 궁금해할 것이다. 세상에 누군들 하나님이 우리에게 쓰신 것을 읽어보고 싶지 않겠는가?

또 다른 일화/ 사우디 공주와의 만남
A few years ago my friend Frank (not his real name) and I arranged to meet a Saudi princess through a mutual friend. There are possibly three thousand Saudis in the royal family, connected by direct lineage or marriage to the house of Saud. These people are generally affluent members of society, and many of them are well traveled and have some of the finest education available to them.

몇 년 전에 내 친구 프랑크(가명)와 내가 서로 아는 사람을 통해 사우디 공주와 만나게 된 일이 있었다. 사우디왕가라면 약 삼 천 명 정도가 되는데 이들은 결혼이나 혈연으로 사우드 가문과 연결된 사람들을 말한다. 이들은 대게 그 사회의 부유한 계층이고 해외여행도 자주 다니고 최고의 교육을 받을 기회가 있는 사람들이다.

We met the princess at her home. She entertained us with traditional tea,
and we sat down to talk. There were about six people present and, as usual,
the conversation soon turned into the snake pit: politics. I hate talking about
politics—somebody always gets hurt.

우리는 그 공주를 공주의 저택에서 만났다. 공주는 우리에게 전통차를 대접했고 우린 앉아서 대화를 나눴다. 약 6명 정도가 있었는데 언제나 그러하듯 화제가 골치아픈 정치 얘기로 빠졌다. 꼭 누군가는 상처를 입기 때문에 정치 얘기하는 건 질색이다.

The princess had a unique perspective, however. She was a well educated,
highly intelligent member of the royal class, with a degree in journalism, of all things. Some of her work had been published in national presses, and she used her intellect and position to discuss women’s rights, cultural instability, and the conflict between Westernism and entrenched Islamic traditions. Throughout, she remained respectful of Islam, as it was the religion of her people; at the same time, she clearly had a deep sense of offense toward the West—America in particular.

공주는 꽤 독특한 식견을 가지고 있었다. 교육도 잘 받았고 언론학 학위를 지닌, 왕가에서도 꽤 지적인 사람들 중에 하나였다. 그녀의 글 중 일부는 전국지에 기고되기도 했고 공주는 자신의 지식과 사회적 지위를 이용해서 여성의 권리와 문화적 불안정성, 혹은 서구지향주의와 사우디 사회의 뿌리깊은 이슬람적 전통사이의 갈등을 논의했다. 전체적으로 그녀는 자기 민족의 종교인 이슬람을 존중하는 입장이었고 동시에 서구, 특히 미국에 관한 깊은 불쾌함을 가지고 있었다.

As she became more vocal and adamant, delivering one criticism after
another in perfect English, we could tell it was personal to her—not merely
a political argument. It had become a monologue until Frank spoke up.
“Look, one thing’s really obvious about all of this.”
Perhaps anticipating some retaliation, she snapped, “What is that?”
“Well,” he said, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, “you’ve been
hurt very badly, and I’m sorry for that. I really am.”
“Excuse me?” she said, taken back.
“What do you mean?”
“I can tell you’re very intelligent, and you’re very knowledgeable about East-
West conflicts. But I can tell your feelings on these issues don’t come from your education or your work.
They come from your heart… and your heart, Princess, is wounded.”

그녀가 완벽한 영어로 점점 강경한게 서구를 비난했을 때 우리는 그 비난이 단순한 정치적 논쟁이 아니라 거의 우리를 겨냥한 것이 아닌가 싶을 정도였다. 마친내 프랭크 가 “여보세요, 가장 분명한 게 있다면…” 이라고 입을 뗄 때까지 공주의 일방적 연설이다시피했다. 뭔가 역공격을 예상했던 지, 공주는 “뭐가요?”라고 말을 가로챘고 이에 프랭크는 팔꿈치를 무릎쪽으로 누르며 “당신이 몹시 상처를 받았다는거죠. 유감이군요. 진심으로요.”라고 말했다.
공주가 “뭐라구요? 무슨 말이예요, 지금?”이라고 반문하자, 프랭크는 “당신은 상당히 지적입니다. 당신은 동서양간 갈등에 관해서도 상당한 지식이 있어요. 하지만 당신이 이런 갈등을 언급할 때 당신에게서 단순히 교육이나 업무차원이 아닌 감정이 느껴져요. 그 감정은 당신의 마음에서 나온건데..공주님…당신의 마음이 상했군요.”라고 대답했다.

I looked over at Frank and saw a glint of moisture in his eyes. I couldn’t believe it. We were in the middle of a heated discussion and Frank  was starting to cry. He was doing what Jesus does—looking at the heart with
compassion—while I had been getting angry.
The princess broke. After a few minutes she looked up and wiped her eyes. “You are right. I am hurt, and I see no way out of it. I’m trapped in the layers of politics and religion and culture.” She paused.
“I have spent all of my life to find some meaning, something to belong to, and it always circulates back to the same old things again. It’s so disappointing.
I try to reach the people of Saudi Arabia to give them hope, and I have no hope myself.”

내가 프랭크를 쳐다봤을 때, 그의 눈에 맺힌 눈물을 볼 수 있었다. 있을 수가 없는 일이었다. 한참 열띤 토론을 하는 중에 프랭크가 울려는 참인 것이다. 그는 내가 막 열을 받기 시작할 때, 예수가 그러하듯 긍휼한 마음으로 그 마음을 보고 있었던 것이다. 공주가 무너졌다. 몇 분간 물끄러미 위를 쳐다보더니 눈물을 닦았다. “당신 말이 맞아요. 난 상처를 받았죠. 벗어날 길이 없어요. 난 우리나라의 정치와 종교와 문화사이에 끼어 있어요. 평생 의미있는 것, 내가 속할 수 있는 것을 찾아헤맸지만 매냥 다시 같은 상황으로 돌아오는거죠. 너무 힘들어요. 사우디국민들에게 희망을 주기위해 다가가려고 하지만 막상 내 자신에겐 아무 희망이 없는거죠.”

“But let me ask you a question, if I may,” I interjected. “What if I told you there was a kingdom much larger than Saudi Arabia, much greater than America, much deeper than the culture of Europe, and much richer than the religious institutions of Christianity or Islam. What would you say to that?”
The princess looked over her shoulder toward her uncle, who was stand-
Before responding, she again looked over her shoulder to her uncle, who
nodded approvingly.

그 때 내가 끼어들었다. “한 가지만 물을께요, 내가 만약 당신에게 사우디아라비아보다 더 큰 왕국, 미국보다 훨씬 더 크고 유럽 문화보다 더 깊고 기독교나 이슬람의 종교단체들 보다 더 풍요로운 왕국이 있다고 한다면 어쩔래요?” 공주는 어깨 너머로 서 있던 자기 삼촌을 바라보았다. 자기가 대답하기 전에 어깨 너머로 삼촌을 다시 바라보았는데, 그는 승인한다는 의미로 고게를 끄덕였다.

Her uncle nodded. He seemed to know that we meant no harm.
I continued. “Would you be interested in a kingdom of hope?”
“Certainly,” she said. “Does God offer this hope?”
“Yes,” I said, “and he has made a gateway to it—an entrance to this kingdom.”
She looked suspicious for a moment.

공주의 삼촌은 우리가 위험한 자들이 아님을 아는 듯 했고 승인의 표시로 고개를 끄덕였다. 나는 “희망의 왕국에 관해 알고싶나요?” 라고 물었고 공주는 “그럼요, 하나님이 희망을 주시나요?”라고 물었다. “네, 그리고 하나님은 희망에 이르는 길을 만드셨어요. 왕국에 이르는 입구죠.” 공주는 잠시 미심쩍어했다.

“Are you trying to tell me I should convert to Christianity?”
“No, we’re not.” I held up my hand for a moment. “Princess, what does the
word Muslim mean to you?”
“Well . . . in the traditional sense, it means ‘submitted.’”
“Yes, but what does it mean to you?
What do you want it to mean?”
She shook her head. “I’m not sure what you’re saying.”

“나보고 기독교로 개종하라고 말하는거예요?”
나는 손에 힘을 주면서 “아니요,근데 공주님, 무슬림이 당신에겐 무슨 의미인가요?"라고 물었다. “음…전통적 의미로는…”복종하는”이겠죠.”
“그렇군요, 하지만 당신에겐 어떤 의미인가요?”
“무슨 말이예요? 당신이 무슨 말을 하는 지 모르겠군요.” 공주가 머리를 가로저었다.

Frank picked up seamlessly where I left off. “Princess, what if ‘submitted’
could mean ‘to belong to’? You spoke to us about hope, about significance,
about meaning. If you can find these things with Allah, in this kingdom,
would you not be the truest form of Muslim? Would you not truly be submitted to God?”

프랭크가 대화를 유연하게 이어받아서 “공주님, “복종하는”이 “속한다”라는 뜻이라면요? 공주님은 우리에게 희망과 중요성과 의미에 대해 얘기하셨는데 만약 당신이 이런 가치들을 하나님과 함께 이 왕국에서 찾을 수 있다면, 그럼 당신이 가장 진실한 무슬림의 형상이 되는 것 아닐까요? 진심으로 하나님께 복종하지 않으시렵니까?”라고 말했다.

“Do I have to change my beliefs?” she asked. “Because this is not tradition.
God is aloof; he is unknown by men.”
“But he is known by men,” I replied,
“and by women. He has made this kingdom available.”
“He has? Is it paradise? Our reward in death?”
“Princess, it is here, now.”

공주는 “내가 믿음을 바꿔야하나요? 이건 우리 전통과 달라요. 하나님은 먼 곳에 계시죠. 그는 인간이 알 수 있는 존재가 아니세요.”라고 말했고 이에 나는 “하나님은 인간에 의해 알려지셨어요. 그리고 여자들에 의해 알려지셨구요. 하나님은 이 왕국에 우리가 닿을 수 있도록 하셨는걸요.”라고 대답했다.
“하나님이 그러셨어요? 천국을 말하나요? 죽음 이후의 보상말이예요?”
“공주님, 그건 바로 지금 이곳에서 이루어집니다.”

“How can I have this kingdom?”
“Allah sent a prophet. The Qur’an tells us he is the word of God, that he is a spirit from God and sits close to God. His name is Isa, and he is near to God now.”
She nodded. “You call him Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah.”
“Yes,” I said. “We have spent our lives following him, belonging to his kingdom.”
“How do you belong to his kingdom?”
“The first thing Isa preached was that the kingdom of heaven is at hand. I
believe that to be truly submitted toAllah is to be with him in spirit, in his kingdom, and I believe that Isa can open that door for you because he
is near to Allah.”

“그 왕국을 얻는 방법은 뭐죠?”
“알라가 선지자를 보냈죠. 꾸란은 우리에게 그가 하나님의 말씀이라고 하고 그는 하나님의 영이며 하나님 곁에 앉아있다고 하죠. 그의 이름은 이사이며, 그는 지금도 하나님 곁에 있어요.”
그녀응 고개를 끄덕이며 “메시아 나사렛 예수군요.”라고 말했다. “어떻게 그의 왕국에 속할 수 있죠?” “이사가 처음 가르친 내용은 하나님의 나라가 가까이 왔다는 것이죠. 나는 진정으로 알라에게 복종하는 것이 그와 영 안에서, 그의 왕국에서 함께 하는 것이라고 믿어요. 이사는 알라 가까이 계시므로 당신을 위해 문을 열어주실 수 있다고 믿어요.”

She glanced once more at her uncle, then asked, “Can we pray to Allah and ask him to speak to us about his kingdom?”
And we did. Frank and I took turns asking God to reveal his kingdom to our new friend. As we prayed, the Spirit of God entered the room.
Within moments we were all in tears.
She then prayed for God’s kingdom to enter into her heart through the anointed one—Jesus.

그녀는 삼촌을 한 번 더 보더니,”우리가 알라께 기도해서 그의 왕국에 관해 우리에게 말씀하시도록 부탁할 수 있을까요?”라고 물었다. 우리는 그렇게 했다. 프랭크와 교대로 나는 하나님께 우리의 새 친구에게 그의 왕국을 드러내시라고 기도했다. 우리가 기도하는 도안 성령이 그 방에 들어섰다. 불과 몇 분안에 우린 모두 눈물을 펑펑 쏟아냈다. 공주는 하나님의 왕국이 예수를 통해서 자기의 마음에 들어오도록 기도했다.

세 번 째 일화: 레바논의 어느 밤
The pitch-black night seemed to smother us as we walked down the narrow winding streets of Tripoli, Lebanon. I was accompanied by my Lebanese friend Hasher and my American friend John. We were going to meet with the top leadership of the Salafi Muslim sect. The Salafis are out of the same theological Islamic Ting(?) nearby. We had to be wary—the slightest hint of irreverence would bring our conversation to an end.
레바논 트리폴리의꼬불꼬불한 좁은 길을 깜깜한 밤중에 걷노라면 숨이 막히는 느낌이다. 내 레바논친구인 하셔와 미국인친구 존과 함께 하는 길이었다. 우리는 사라피 무슬림파의 최고지도자와 만날 참이었다. 사라피들은 이슬람정통에서 나온 일파다. 조심에 조심을 할 일이다. 조금만 불경한 태도를 보여도 대화는 그것으로 끝장이다.

(They) mold as the Taliban of Afghanistan. They are basically first cousins to
al-Qaeda and the Taliban from the Wahhabi tradition in Saudi Arabia.

사라피들은 아프간의 탈레반을 조직한다. 이들은 알 카에다와 기본적으로 사촌간이며 사우디의 와하비적 전통에서 나온 탈리반인것이다.

By the time we turned a corner and stepped through a small narrow door
into a small, dark room—well, I was wondering what in the world I was
doing. (Once again.)
Inside I was shocked by the sight of about fifty men who looked exactly
like Osama bin Laden. All with long beards and robes, they spoke only the
classical Arabic, not the colloquial Lebanese version I was used to. My
heart was pounding! These men had taken a vow to live according to the
most extreme version of Islam. Yet it seemed God had put us right in their
midst that very night.

우리가 모퉁이를 돌아서 작고 어두운 방의 작고 좁은 문에 다달았을 때, 난 내가 대체 무슨 일을 하는 것인 지 자문하게 되었다. 방안에 딱 오사마 빈 라덴처럼 보이는 사람들 50여 명 정도가 있는 걸 보고 깜짝 놀랐다. 모두 긴 수염을 기르고 아랍 전통 긴옷을 입고 정통 아랍어만으로 얘기를 했는데, 이는 내가 익숙한 레바논 생활 아랍어와는 꽤 달랐다. 심장이 터질 것 같았다. 이들은 모두 이슬람에서도 가장 극단의 형태의 삶을 살기로 서약한 자들이 아닌가. 그럼에도 하나님은 우리를 바로 그 밤 그들 가운데로 인도하셨다.

The meeting, which had been set up by Hasher, was to discuss the differences between Christianity and Islam.
As you know by now, I’m not big on starting with our differences but rather prefer to begin with the things we share in common—mainly Jesus.
So within minutes our conversation turned to him. We talked about Jesus
Christ, his life, death, and resurrection, for nearly three hours. I finished
by telling them that I loved them and that we know God loves them. They
showered us with hugs, kisses, and well-wishes. It was another potentially
scary situation that God turned into something powerful.

이 모임은 하세르에 의해서 기독교와 이슬람의 차이를 논의해보기 위해 주선된 것이었다. 지금 이 글을 읽는 당신이 짐작하듯 나는 우리의 차이를 말하기 보다는 우리가 공통으로 가진 것, 주로 예수에 관해 시작하고 싶었다. 그래서 대화를 시작하자마자 우리의 화제는 그에게 향했다. 우리는 예수 그리스도, 그의 삶, 죽음, 그리고 부활에 관해 약 세 시간 동안 이야기했다. 나는 그들을 사랑하고 우리는 하나님이 그들을 사랑하심을 안다고 말함으로써 대화를 마감했다. 그들은 우리를 안고 키스하고 (번역자주: 아랍의 문화에선 동성끼리 안고 뺨에 키스하고 이런 것들이 다 친교의 표시입니다. 아랍에서 남성동성애는 죽음이란 걸 기억하시길.) 평안을 빌어주었다. 이 날은 하나님이 권능으로 바꾸신 참 위험한 상황들 중 하나였다.

Their leader walked us out to the curb of the main street with these words:
“You have broken down our stereotypes of what a Christian looks like and how they think. We so appreciate you taking the time to come here. I
know it must have been hard. Would you please come back so we can talk
some more about Isa al Masih? We love you and what you stand for.”
Isn’t it amazing that negative stereotypes go both ways! They have judged
us as we have judged them. They are afraid of us like we are afraid of them.
It’s the love of Christ that breaks this barrier down so we can see and hear
the Good News that’s available to all.

그들의 지도자는 길가 모퉁이까지 배웅나와서 이런 말을 했다, “당신은 우리가 가진 크리스챤에 관한 고정관념을 깼소. 당신이 이 곳에 온 것을 참으로 감사하오. 힘든 결정이었을 겁니다. 다음에 다시 와서 이사 알 마시히(번역자 주: 예수)에 관해 좀 더 얘기를 해 볼 수 있겠소? 우리는 당신과 당신이 믿는 것을 사랑하오.”
서로에게 부정적인 고정관념이 일하는 방식이 놀랍지 않은가! 그들은 우리를 판정했고 우리도 그랬다. 그들은 우리를 우리가 그들을 두려워하는 만큼 두려워했다. 예수의 사랑만이 이 벽을 허물고 우리가 우리 모두에게 주어진 복음을 듣고 보는 것을 가능케한다.

네 번 째 일화 레바논 무슬림 정치인 모흐센
I met Mohsen one night at my friend’s house. We were having a gathering of
top-level Lebanese political leadership to discuss how these men could work
with us in bridging the ever-widening gap between the Arab East and
American West. Mohsen was a Sunni Muslim parliament member and a
striking man in every way. He was articulate, handsome, well dressed,
and I later found out, spoke seven languages and sang Italian opera. He
gave me a five-minute appointment at his office the next week.
When I arrived at the time scheduled, he was just leaving. He had forgotten
our meeting. Embarrassed, he invited me to join him for lunch—at
his house.

모흐센을 내 동역자의 집에서 만났다. 우린 동양의 아랍과 서양인 미국 사이에 존재하는, 계속 넓어져만 가는 간극을 이을 방안을 찾는데 레바논내  정치지도자들이 어떻게 일할 수 있을 것인 가를 논의하기 위해 레바논최고정치가들과 모임을 갖고 있었다. 모흐센은 순니파 무스림 국회의원이었고 모든 면에서 눈에 띄는 사람이었다. 단정하고 잘생긴 외모에 멋진 의상을 걸치고 있었고 나중에 알았지만 7개 국어를 말하고 이태리 오페라를 부르는 사람이었다. 그는 모임 다음 주에 약 5분간 자기 사무실로 방문하도록 허락해주었다. 내가 약속 시간에 맞춰 도착했을 때, 그는 막 떠나려던 참이었다. 나와의 역속 자체를 잊고 있었던 것이다. 미안했던 그는 자기 집에서 점심을 같이하자고 초대했다.

If you know anything about Arabs, you know their hospitality is famous.
Typically, only the most basic small talk is engaged in until coffee and
sweets are served. But in this case, after entering his house, he slouched
down, put his head between his hands, and sighed. “Life’s hard.”
I asked him what was going on. He simply retorted, “I have no hope. No
hope for Lebanon whatsoever.”
“That’s pretty serious since you’re a leader in the country. That’s probably
not good.”

당신이 아랍사람들에 대해 조금이라도 안다면, 그들의 손님환대가 얼마나 유명한 지 알 것이다. 관례적으로는 커피와 다과가 제공되는 동안 기본적인 대화가 오간다. 하지만 이 경우엔 달랐다. 그의 집에 들어서자마자 그는 자리에 주저앉더니 두 손 사이에 머리를 파묻고 한숨을 쉬며 “사는게 힘들어”라고 한숨을 쉬는게 아닌가. 무슨 일이 있느냐고 묻자 그는 “희망이 없어. 레바논엔 이제 희망 자체가 없소.”라고 말했다. 이에 나는“당신은 이 나라의 지도자이신데 이러시면 안되는건데요.”라고 대꾸했다.

“Well, enough about me,” he quickly replied. “Tell me something about you. What do you do?”
“I’m a hope broker.” (I had never said that before and have never used it
since, but it seemed appropriate to the situation.)
“Hmm. What does a hope broker do exactly?”
“난 됐고…당신에 대해 알아봅시다. 뭐하는 사람이요?”
“난 희망중개인입니다.” (나는 이런 말을 전에는 해 본 적도 없고 이런 말에 익숙한 사람도 아니었지만 당시 상황엔 적절한 것 같았다.)
“흠..그러니까 희망중개인이 하는 일이 정확히 뭐요?”

Since I wasn’t used to this line of questioning, I didn’t really know what to say
other than the obvious: “I deal hope.”
“Well, where do you get it? The hope. Where do you get your hope?”
“First, tell me more about why things are so bad in Lebanon and what it’s like to be in your position. Then I will tell you where I get hope.” So he did.
But within five minutes he remembered what I said and came back to it.

이런 식의 질문에 익숙하지도 않았고 다르게 뚜렷히 할 말도 없었다.
“희망을 거래합니다.”
“어디서 희망을 얻지? 어디서 얻느냐구?”
“일단 먼저 왜 레바논 상황이 이렇게 나쁜 것인 지, 그리고 당신의 상황은 어떤 지 좀 더 말해줘요. 그럼 내가 희망을 얻는 지 말해줄께요.” 그가 말을 하기 시작했다. 하지만 오분도 안돼서 그는 내가 한 말을 기억해냈고 다시 같은 질문을 해댔다.

“So explain this ‘hope thing’ that you mentioned.”
I began: “It’s so simple it’s almost silly. Here’s the idea. It’s very small and quite unorganized. We gather a few people from various segments of society and meet about once a week.
We do a few basic things. First, we try to pray for the country. We have university students, kids, professionals, businessmen, poor Palestinians, and anyone who wants to meet. These groups reflect Lebanese society, so they’re a mix of Muslim, Christian, and Druze. We all say we believe in a god who can save people, so we thought we’d start where we agree—prayer! But lately we’ve realized we need more than prayer. We need something to bind us together.
Something to focus on. To study. So we decided to study the life of a great
person who we would all agree on.”

“당신이 말한 ‘희망’이란 걸 좀 더 자세히 말해봐요.”
나는 “멍청해보일 정도로 단순해요. 일단 해당 나라를 위해 기도해요. 대학생들, 아이들, 전문가들, 사업가들, 가난한 팔레스타인사람들, 만나고 싶어하는 누구나가 다 모임의 구성원이 되는데 이들이 레바논 사회를 반영하죠. 이들중엔 무슬림도 있고 크리스찬이나 드루즈도 있어요. 우리는 모두 사람을 구원하실 수 있는 하나의 신을 믿으니까 우리가 동의하는 첫 걸음인 ‘기도’에서 시작해야한다고 생각했죠. 하지만 최근엔 우리에게 기도 이상이 필요함을 알게 되었어요. 우리를 묶어줄 무언가가 필요해요. 집중할 수 있는 것. 알아보기! 그래서 우리는 우리 모두가 동의하는 위인의 삶에 관해 공부하기로 했죠.”라고 대답했다.  

I paused, not wanting to do all the talking, and asked if he could suggest
someone to study.
“Mother Teresa.”
“Wow, Mother Teresa is one of my heroes,” I said. “She’s amazing.
Anyone else you can think of that would work?”
He thought for a while, taking this very seriously, and replied, “What about Gandhi?”
“You’ve picked two of my three favorite historical leaders ever to live. I
love Gandhi. Big fan. You know . . . I think these two people got a lot of their
thinking from someone even further back, though. Sure you can’t think of
anyone else that might be good for our friends here to meet around?”

내가 다 말하고 싶지 않아서 그에게 공부하고픈 위인을 제안해보라고 말했다. “마더 테레사” “야아, 마더 테레사는 내 영웅 중에 하나죠. 대단한 분이시죠. 다른 분 또 생각나는 분 있으세요?” 아주 심각하게 이 문제를 생각하더니 “간디는 어때요?”라고 말했다. “내가 가장 좋아하는 세 명의 역사적으로 최고인 리더들 중 하나를 고르셨네요. 간디 정말 좋아해요. 팬이죠, 제가. 제 생각엔 말씀하신 두 분이 그들의 사상의 많은 부분을 그 분들보다 훨씬 이전에 사셨던 분에게서 얻은 것 같아요. 우리의 친구들이 만날 수 있는 그런 좋은 다른 분을 정말 모르시겠어요?”

He must have thought for a full minute. All of a sudden he pounded the table—scared me half to death—and said, “I’ve got it. It’s Jesus!”
He nearly yelled it. Then he explained:
“Muslims like Jesus. Druze like Jesus. Even Christians like Jesus.” (I’m not
making that up—that’s exactly what he said, “Even Christians . . . ”)
“Of course,” I replied. “Really. Jesus, eh? Hmm. Could be. I think you’re on to something here. Are you saying that you think everyone loves and respects Jesus, although possibly not the religion of his followers?”

일 분은 족히 생각하는 것 같았다. 갑자기 테이블을 치며 (난 너무 놀라서 간이 떨어지는 줄 알았다.) “알았어! 예수야!” 라며 고함을 치더니 설명을 시작했다. “무슬림은 예수를 좋아해, 드루즈나 심지어 크리스찬들도 예수를 좋아해.” (그가 ‘심지어 크리스찬들’이라고 했을 때, 이 말을 어떻게 받아들여야하나..싶었다.) 나는 “물론, 아..예수가 있네요. 그럴 수도 있겠네요. 여기서 당신이 알아낸 것이 있는 것 같아요. 모두가 예수를 사랑하고 존경한다고 말하신거죠? 그의 추종자들의 종교는 아니겠지만요.”라고 말했다.

“Exactly!” he burst out. “That’s what I’m saying. We would all love to meet
and discuss Jesus. Hey, we should do one of these groups in the parliament.
You can lead it.”
And so we did—we started a little gathering in the Lebanese parliament.
It didn’t change the world. It didn’t change Lebanon. I don’t even know
if it changed us. But it was good. We didn’t meet every week, but we met
often, and when we were together it was wonderful. We studies through
the gospel of Luke.
Once again, I saw that while Muslims are often afraid of Christianity and
maybe even Christians, they’re more than willing to look seriously into the
life of Christ.
“내가 하려던 말이 그거야. 우리는 모두 예수를 사랑하고 알고 싶단 말이요. 국회에서 이런 모임을 하나 만들어야겠소. 당신이 인도하면 되겠네.”
우리는 레바논 국회내에서 작은 모임을 시작했고 이 일이 세상을 바꾸지는 않았고 레바논도 바꾼 것은 아니지만 이 것은 선한 일이었다. 매주 만나지는 못했지만 자주 만났고 만날 때 마다 참 좋은 시간이 되었다. 누가복음 전체를 다 공부했다. 다시 한 번 나는 무슬림들이 종종 기독교나 크리스찬들을 두려워하지만 예수의 삶은 진지하게 보고자한다는 것을 느꼈다.